Violent crime has been a sad yet constant part of life in Flint for the past several years. The increase in these numbers is often attributed to the lack of jobs and high poverty level of the city. It is important for community members to understand the types of crime where they live so they know how to protect themselves and help law enforcement when needed. Check out some of these Flint crime statistics from 2013, just two years ago.
- The murder rate in Flint was almost 10 times the national average.
- For every 100,000 people in Flint, 1,908 would be a victim of violent crime (murder, rape, robbery, assault).
- The overall crime rate for Flint was 99% higher than the national average.
- You had a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of any crime in Flint.
- There were a total of just 140 law enforcement workers (officers and civilians) for a population of 103,263.
For more information on crime in Flint and what mayoral candidate Karen Weaver plans to do about it, visit www.karenaboutflint.com.